Tuesday 29 April 2014

Plastic or Metal?

 So Malifaux folks on twitter may be reading much bemoaning the latest delay to plague the Gremlins. I, personally, am absolutely gutted by it, as I planned to take Gremlins to Heartfaux and this felt like it shattered the chance of that happening. I toyed with other options for a while, but in the end I have bitten the bullet and ordered the old alternative metal Somer figure shown below.

Alternative Somer, taken from the Wyrd webstore
  I really like the look of this model. I think I prefer it's stance compared to the one pictured in the artwork we have seen for the plastic Bayou Boss that is (might be) on its way. The question hit me when I ordered it, why had I bothered waiting at all? It's because I much prefer plastic models over metal models. Today's blog post was just going to be about why that is, also lots of pics of the gremlins I have been painting :D.

Proxy Bayou Gremlins made from 40k Gretchin
  Some time ago people would say that the detail is far superior on a metal model than on a plastic. However, not only do I think that is not the case anymore, but I don't see the reasoning behind it. I think I am a half decent painter, to blow my horn, but I have never felt that a plastic model did not present me with enough detail to make a cool looking figure. If I cannot discern the difference with my paintbrush, what use is this extra detail.

Gracie painted as a 'Oxford Sandy and Black' (my folks own pigs of that breed)
  The other major issue for me, and it is a blinder, is chipping. If I was to accept that metal models are more detailed and you are able to get a much better paint-job on them, for it would be pointless as your lovely work is going to be destroyed by chipping paint. Sure, there are many varnishes available but they don't all seem to work that well.

Burt Jebson - I have not seen Big Trouble in Little China
  Finally, metal models do not have the flexibility of plastics. Plastic models are often multi-part, so cope much better with conversions and dynamic positioning, which metal models definitely do not. For me part of making models is creativity and an important part if creativity is putting your own stamp on something. Anything that limits that is a major downside.

 With that I have now run out of newly painted gremlins to show you so I should probably go work on some more! I hope I have not been too negative today and although I seem very firm in my own belief, I would love to hear some contradicting viewpoints. Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment