Wednesday 29 October 2014

Myth - Initial Thoughts

Yesterday one of my Kickstarter projects arrived. Myth. For those that don't know much about it, Myth is a co-operative dungeon crawler game that was on KS some time ago. America has had the game for some time but there were some problems with shipping in Europe so there have been massive delays (it's a KS, what do you expect?). When the box arrived we were pretty surprised, there had been no e-mail to let us know or anything. It was so long ago now it had fallen out of the back of my mind, so a package of toys was always a nice surprise.

 Wow, that's a lot of models! The sheer number of models is pretty intense, particularly when you consider what you get in the basic game. Sorry for the lack of pictures, btw, me and my partner spent the whole evening trying to wade through it all and I can't be bother to rip it all out now!

 So what did I think of the models? Honeslty, I'm a little disapointed. The box says 'Hobby Quality Miniatures' and I think that's stretching it. What we got were board game quality figures. It's not like the sculpting is bad, they're actually pretty good, it's the material used. The plastic is really bendy, resulting in many floppy swords and staffs. Ultimately, however, for the price we payed through KS and what we got I'm happy overall.

 We even managed to get a little game in last night. Before my partner got home I read the main rulebook. The concepts are fun and I like the mechanics, but the layout of the rulebook is confusing at best. It also feels like there are massive oversights. Where are the rules for courage? Thankfully there are some quickstart rules also included in the set with some errata and FAQ (which is probably because of the delay after the Americans got their hands on it) so we actually managed to get through a game without too much scratching of our heads, though there were definitely some problems. All this being said, both me and Jen had a great time looting the dead and being traditional gung ho adventurer types. I have never really got into the whole dungeon crawler thing, but the co-op nature of this one along with the extremely flexible encounter set up is most enjoyable.

 So final thoughts? I'm happy I got it through KS but I don't think I'd buy it without all the free add on stuff, it wouldn't be worth it. Hopefully soon will throw so cartoony paint jobs on the models and you can see what I mean.

If you have also got the set, I'd love to know what you think. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment