Friday 14 November 2014

That'll Learn me - M2GT

For those of you who aren't used to my blog posts, after each tournament I try and write down what I have learned from my experience.

First of all, I have learned that Nate Zettle is a freak. How else would he know when the Breach was found for the quiz? Also, wearing green facepaint on almost your whole body gets paint everywhere.

 Seriously though, from a gaming perspective, what did I learn?

 I think one of the things I learnt is that Som'er really is the Gremlin Master for me. In the six games I played the only games I lost were the ones I didn't use Som'er. O.K. this wasn't the only thing that was different about each of the games, I was against some of the best players in the country, but thinking back on the games, particularly the last, I can't help but feel that I would have done better with Som'er.

 It's not just a question of effectiveness. I have tried playing with Zoraida, but, as I mentioned in one of my report posts, although it worked well it wasn't fun. Simply, it wasn't the way I wanted to play the game. Although I still enjoy the other masters a bit more I still feel like they weren't right for me, they didn't click. Ulix is starting to work for me now, so it might be a question of experience, but I have less inclination to power through the learning curve with lots of the other masters

 So the other thing I learnt that is possibly linked with this is that my lists are becoming a little samey and thus predictable. In my game against Peter I am pretty sure he was able to write my list down to a few details and was able to tailor his list to fight that. It didn't give that much of an advantage in the end, but I disliked that the possibility existed.

 I don't think I'll stop playing with Som'er though, I love that guy, he's amazing, but I am beginning to think that I need a change of pace for the new year. I am thinking of starting using a new crew. I'll probably do another blog post on that though.

 The other thing I am starting to think, and this is a little sad, but I am thinking of playing less competitively. This weekend has been loads of fun and I have had some seriously great games, but there have been mumblings and grumblings from others about games that haven't gone so well and suggestions of foul play. I don't want to play a game that's anything like that and I suspect that not playing at the top tables will make that not happen. For me that's really sad, I don't know about anyone else, but if that's what has to happen so I can have fun then so be it.

So what I have learnt? I have learnt I need a new direction and new goals for the next year of gaming. This probably seems really negative but I am really happy both about the GT itself, I had loads of fun. I am also feeling positive about Malifaux, I am still in love with the game. I am just going to take a new direction with it. I intend to attend story events as a priority, for example. We'll see though, I am not going to be making mass promises and pledges. I intend to do what I want and have fun, this is just my thought process.

 I hope it was interesting regardless.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is more important to play the masters you actually find fun, even if they're not the 'best' for a particular game. Even in the most competitive games , if you don't enjoy the crew you're playing then it's just wasted time even if you win (just to be clear, I find that playing against the best players is still about fun as a priority), You'll also be more motivated to find the cool interactions, and hence play the crew more effectively, if you find it entertaining.

    It's interesting that you mention suggestions of foul play and grumblings about games that didn't go well. Maybe I was just talking to the wrong (or perhaps right) people, but I felt that people were generally happy with their losses as much as their wins, possibly with the exception of feeling that they didn't play to the best of their ability. I don't believe that I heard any stories of foul play either; it is very disappointing if that is the case. Are we talking here of intentional cheating? I doubt that any game was played 100% cleanly by the end of the UKGT as people were tired out from the previous five, but that would be a world away from purposeful foul play.

    Competitive or otherwise, I hope to continue meeting and being paired with you at Malifaux events.

    ReplyDelete