Monday 2 February 2015

Tale of Malifaux Bloggers: Getting Mad for the Hatter

So far, I haven't done much painting. OK, I have actually done no painting, but I did get some way onto making bases. Look, shiny:


I actually have a fair bit to do on them still... and paint them. Progress is progress though, right?

Anyway, the real reason I am posting is because I have played my first game in the campaign tonight. I used:

Sybelle + her upgrades
2* Belle
Bete Noir
Nurse

with a full cache this comes to 35 stones, which is utterly rediculous because I have an obscene number of stones rapped up in Sybelle for no good reason. Oh well. Anyway, to make things worse we played the new strategy inteference and the weekly thing was a traveller, who sat in the middle of the no go zone dishing out (mostly) benefits to whoever decided to interact with him. The weekly other thing was getting scheme markers in every corner, which Vince's arcanist crew had no issue doing.  I think there were over 20 markers on the board at the end of the game. Somehow, in all the rediculous madness, 2 models were killed but flipped an ace or a 2 so they didn't have any effects. Bete 'died' twice but came back. The game was a draw. I had earned 13 scrip from the game (one of my belles spent the first two turns propositioning him, he paid out 6 scrip) but was only actually able to take 8 home with us from the game, so made the traveller pretty much redundant. It's hard to express how silly that game was. It wasn't helped by the fact that I had decided Bete had an intro, which was just me saying her name in a high pitched voice. Vince tried to get me to say it as many times as possible. The skills and upgrades are just a little bit mental. Cassy is now wp6 and immune to slow and paralysed and Sybelle walk 6.

So what do I think of the campaign so far? Well it seems to introduce chaos into the game for basically no purpose. If anyone had actually understood the rules in our game, the traveller would have just been a section of impassable terrain, and barely used as that. The skills seem a little extreme, but our actual examples of them aren't really. We are having lots of fun though and it's pushing us outside of our comfort zone, which is pretty cool. Good for the grey matter. Still needs more gaming to work it out. It feels like it expects you to play more than one game a week, though, which I am not sure is reasonable. Maybe we could slow down the weeks, make it a month or two weeks or something, so you get to understand what's going on a bit more. We'll stick to the basic rules for the moment though.

Anyway, that's all from me for now. I'll get back in touch if I do more hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment